2015年3月18日星期三

DIY Pop Can Keychains

When I cleaned my house a few days ago, I found some empty pop cans. I thought about how to deal with these pop cans. Suddenly an idea strike me, that is diy pop can keychains. And I just could not help starting this diy project. Here are my instructions of making the pop can keychains:


Step 1:

Once the can was clean, I took off the top with the help of my can opener. I think it goes without saying - but I will say it anyway - BE CAREFUL when cutting up a pop can. The edges can be sharp!

Step 2:

I made a variety of hearts and circles in a Word document on the computer, and printed and cut them out. After deciding which sizes I liked best for which sections, I used the shapes to trace onto the can. A ball point pen worked fine. I left just enough of a line to cut by - and not so much that it ruined the can if I didn't cut exactly on the line.

Step 3: Next came the hole punching part. And believe it or not, this took some trial and error. I took a tiny nail, and punched a hole in the top of my shapes. This hole would eventually be used to hold a jump ring that I could hang from a keychain.
At first I tried to push the nail through with my fingers - but I bent the pop can - which looked horrible.
So then, I set the shapes on a cardboard box, and used a hammer to puncture the top of each shape with the nail - and no crease. Much better!

Step 4:

Then, I applied the first coat of dimensional magic, and let it dry the allotted time.
Looked good, but I wanted it to be thicker - more bubbly. So I hammered in a hole, did just 1 coat of dimensional magic before hammering the hole again if needed, adding my jump ring, and then applied the additional 2 coats of dimensional magic.

Step 5: Then, I added the shapes to an old key chain that I had - and it looked so adorable!!

Now, all finished! I have my own awesome custom keychain. It looks adorable hanging from the handle of my purse!

没有评论:

发表评论