2016年8月31日星期三

DIY Wallpaper Coasters

Here is how you can make your own custom coasters:


Supplies:

· Wallpaper samples, scrapbook paper, tissue paper, wrapping paper, stationery…any fun paper will do!
· Stone tiles.
· Mod Podge – glossy.
· Felt or cork board.
· Water-resistant glue.
· Water-resistant clear acrylic spray or shellac finish & sealer.
· Other sundries you’ll want: ruler, scissors, pencil, index card, foam brush…hot drink of choice.

Instructions:

1. Prep your paper. I created a 3.75″ x 3.75″ square stencil using an index card, so that I wouldn’t have to measure and re-measure each one. These dimensions seemed to work well with my 4″ x 4″ stone tiles, allowing for a thin rim around the edges.

2. Mod Podge Time! After cutting out all of my wallpaper samples, I rinsed off my tiles in the sink to remove their dusty residue; I gave them about 20 minutes to dry before going all Mod Podge on them! Using a sponge brush, I adhered the paper to the tile using a thin and even layer of Mod Podge on the tile. It dries pretty quickly, so you want to make sure you’ve centered it right, then press it flat with your fingers. Don’t try removing it to re-set it; you’ve got to just commit when it comes to Mod Podge or you’ll ruin your paper in the process. To avoid puckering, really press that paper flat and keep coming back to it to check on it. I found that there were a few I had to continually press and re-press to get them to lay flat…and some air bubbles will just be stubborn and become part of the project. Embrace them. They add “character” to your coasters. Once your paper is lying flat and seems secure (after at least 20 minutes), then start your first layer on the surface. It will look white (as you can see in the picture below), but I promise, it dries glossy clear. You will, however, see the texture of your brush-strokes, so definitely brush in one direction. Let your Mod Podge dry for at least 20 minutes before adding the the next coat…and then the next one…and the next one…until you’ve got at least 5 coats on there.

3. Seal it! Then, I sprayed the surface with clear Bulls Eye Shallac, which is a finish and sealer for crafts. Any waterproof acrylic sealer would be great. Read the instructions on your can for specifics. This step will help make your coasters waterproof; however, know that Mod Podge takes about a month to fully cure, so avoid putting hot drinks on them until then. And expect the surface to be a bit sticky.

4. Adhere your felt to the base of the coasters. The last step is to add a layer of cushion to the bottom of your tile using either felt or cork-board. Felt is definitely the cost-effective method, and I had some on hand leftover from my felt flower wreath. You can cut four circles for the four corners or one square for the entire bottom as I did. The square stencil from step 2 comes in handy here.

Done! Hope you will enjoy this tutorial.


没有评论:

发表评论